Tuesday, October 13, 2009

A little snag

In the previous post I was telling you guys that everything was going great with the house! That the hardwood and the tile were in and that they even were busy installing the carpet. Well - thanks to the observing eye of Sarah - we suspected that they were installing the wrong carpet! And our suspicions were right, IT IS THE WRONG CARPET!
But that carpet is coming out on Thursday and by the end of the day we will have the right shade of carpet in our house! Pretty funny, and yet again, not really.

So I've also told you that I was going to do a lot of photography this weekend. Well I did and it was pretty awesome.
Yesterday I spend my day around the Vermillion Lakes in Banff. I think it is gorgeous up there. Mount Rundle is one of my favourite mountains. I like the shape of it and you can photograph it whole day long. At sunrise over Two Jack Lake and in the afternoon and evening over the Vermillion Lakes. Yesterday though the weather wasn't really cooperating in the afternoon. But I wasn't going to give up this easily.
I've visualised this shot a long time ago. I wanted a reflection, some ice, maybe a nice ice feature, some reeds or grass in the foreground, Mount Rundle and some sunlight.
I picked my spot fairly early in the afternoon and just waited for the right light (while watching a little duck that was making waves in the opening in the ice). After 2 1/2 hours of waiting, I was beginning to believe this evening wasn't going to be spectacular after all and then, as by magic, a ray of sunlight broke through the clouds (and went away again). I started to get my gear ready. Maybe, just maybe, I could get lucky. And then it happened. At first there was a clearing in the clouds. Then the wind shifted and the clouds that were hugging Mount Rundle for the whole afternoon began to disperse. I was able to see a spectacular dance between the clouds and the warm sunlight. This shot was taken about 5 minutes before everything began to turn for the worse again. When I was back in the car it began snowing again and it never stopped.
Why I like this picture? Well it shows you to never give up. No matter what. Fall is a tricky season up here in the mountains and sometimes you need a bit of luck. Yesterday I was the lucky one!

1 comment:

Heisa said...

Ongelofelijk mooi..
Ik ga binnen enkele maanden ook een berg kunnen fotograferen. De fuji berg in Japan..