Monday, October 18, 2010

Let the real Canadian life begin!!

Today was my first day at my new job!
I work as a CAD Technician (this means making drawings, calculations, interpret field notes, ....) for Stewart Weir. So I swapped the Tideway Rollingstone for an office in downtown Calgary.
Let us say that is not very practical when it comes to taxes to work for a Belgian employer and to live in Canada... So I made the decision... Instead of working for the offshore oil and gas, I work for the Alberta oil and gas now!
This means no more travelling, no more 6 weeks on but unfortunately no more 6 weeks off... More time for Elmo (and getting ready for the dressage show season next year) And the start of the real Canadian life!
But I have to admit I will miss the ship and the crew... It was the coolest job I ever did!



Tideway Rollingstone


Tideway Rollingstone


Me and my 8 survey screens. Ah, good times!

3 comments:

Frederik said...

Yes, let the real Canadian life begin! And good luck with the new job! Quite a change indeed!

Strange that Canada wanted taxes in a situation where Belgium didn't.

RE previous post: yeah those Fall colours were amazing...

Saartje said...

It's a kinda complicated situation because you have different contracts depending on where you work (Belgium, Europe or outside Europe) Outside Europe you are only taxed 5% and Belgian Government makes no objections. But Canadian government wanted the other 30 or whatever %...
How is your jobhunting going?? Still like it in Calgary?

Frederik said...

Oh yeah, I love this place! I'm even blogging about it ;-)

A friend and I drove past Cochrane last Sunday on our way to Canmore via Highway 1A - beautiful route!

Job hunt: I'm now working in the oilpatch as a labourer. My first job in Natural Resources (where I want to build my career). Nothing has come so far from my applications for engineering jobs, but at least I'm getting valuable field experience, and seeing oil sites all over Alberta. Amazing!